AREAS OF PRACTICE:
- Civil and Commercial Litigation
- State of Colorado, 2005
- State of New York, 2015
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS:
- Faculty of Federal Advocates, Member
- Colorado Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Colorado Lawyers Committee
- Fellow – Litigation Counsel of America (LCA) Proven Trial Lawyers: The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Best Lawyers in America 2020-2022
- Super Lawyers 2013-2021
View the transcript.
Chris transitioned into private practice after serving as a state prosecutor in the 18th Judicial District. He is licensed in Colorado and New York, and has litigated cases throughout the country—including Colorado, New York, Florida, and California. He has also argued before the Colorado Supreme Court and the Colorado Court of Appeals.
After serving as litigation counsel to the Lehman Brothers estate for the past decade, Chris’ practice has expanded to nearly all aspects of business and commercial litigation, from contract and fraud disputes to legal malpractice, land partition, and fraudulent transfer/successor liability cases. He has tried over 40 jury trials, with a particular emphasis on cases against the Colorado Attorney General as well as issues related to Colorado’s agriculture industry.
Chris is on the board of the Colorado Lawyers Committee, is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, and has been listed by Super Lawyers from 2013-2021. He has also earned selection to the 2020 -2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
Some of his successes include:
- Represented a canabis company in a Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations lawsuit. Resulting in Carrington’s client receiving an arbitrator’s reward.
- Represented ORP Surgical, LLC through trial in the Colorado federal court against Howmedica Osteonics Corp, aka Stryker Corporation for contract violations, resulting in a court order awarding client more than $4.7 million plus all reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs and sanctioning both Stryker and its lawyers (the Seyfarth Shaw, LLP law firm based out of Chicago) for their misconduct.
- Represented cattle feedlot through trial and appeal in a governmental enforcement action filed by Colorado Attorney General, resulting in a complete defense verdict for client on appeal and entry of judgment in favor of feedlot.
- Represented prominent Colorado law firm in appeal by Colorado Attorney General of trial verdict in favor of law firm on all but one count, resulting in affirmance of verdicts in law firm’s favor, reversal of single count against law firm, and entry of judgment in favor of law firm.
- Represented investment bank in a fraudulent transfer investigation in California federal court, resulting in the collection of 100% of the client’s multimillion-dollar judgment.
- Represented bank in pursuit of a collection on New York state court judgment, resulting in a collection of 100% of judgment and interest.
- Represented two law firms and a title company as lead trial counsel in defense of governmental enforcement action filed by Colorado Attorney General, resulting in denial of government’s request for award of more than $3.7 million in restitution.
- Represented demolition company as lead trial counsel in pursuit of negligence claims against subcontractor that caused more than $1 million in damages, resulting in verdict in favor of client.
- Represented loan servicer in contract litigation in Colorado federal court, resulting in summary judgment in client’s favor.
- Represented investment bank in contract dispute in New York federal court resulting in summary judgment in client’s favor.
- Represented loan investor in contract dispute in California federal court, resulting in summary judgment in client’s favor.
- Represented whistleblower in false claims action against prominent defense contractor.
- Represented clients in lawsuit filed in the British Virgin Islands by clients’ former law firm, resulting in successful resolution of all claims.
- Represented local news personality and news station in disputes related to civil rights claims, reaching result in client’s favor.